8 – 10 slices of bacon (leave out if you want to go vegetarian)
1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 – 2 cups beef broth (or vegetable if you prefer to keep it vegetarian)
4 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs. soy sauce
2 tbs. butter
2 tbs. brown sugar
1. Bring large pot of water to a rolling boil. Place green beans in steamer into pot, cover, and cook 2 – 3 minutes until cooked, but still crisp. Remove from water and cool.
2. If you choose to not “bundle” your green beans, simply chop the bacon and mix with the green beans, but if you’re going to commit to the bundles (and they’re so much more impressive this way): gather 4 – 5 beans together, wrap them in a piece of bacon, and secure with a toothpick.
3. Place beans in a shallow baking dish. Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in a small amount of the butter. Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, butter and brown sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted.
4. Pour sauce over prepared green beans, place in refrigerator and allow to marinate for 1 hour or overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 350 F, and bake until bacon is done (20 -30 minutes).