This recipe sounds complicated, but usually, I use all my leftover veggies, left over meats (doesn’t have to just be chicken) and of COURSE, my leftover mashed or roasted potatoes…..in fact, I’m not sure that I’ve ever made this recipe without including leftovers!
3 – 4 red potatoes
5 garlic cloves, divided (2 cloves for pototatoes, 3 for the sauce)
2 tbs. butter
1/4 cup milk
12- 14 fresh sage leaves, minced
2 – 3 chicken breast, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup white wine
2 large sprigs fresh thyme
3/4 cup chicken broth, divided
1 cup corn
1 cup broccoli, chopped
1 cup zucchini, chopped
1 cup green beans, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
any other vegetable, chopped….you get the picture.
2 tbs. corn starch
1/3 cup COLD water
1 – 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray. Add potatoes and sprinkle with 2 cloves minced garlic, salt and pepper, and a small amount of olive oil. Bake for 35 minutes or until tender, turning half way through. Cool, add butter and milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Then roughly mash using a wooden spoon. (Alternatively, use the traditional boiling method to make regular ol’ mashed potatoes). Set aside.
2. Heat 2 tbs. olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sage and garlic (if possible, before placing these ingredients, blend with an immersion or regular blender into a thick liquid). Saute 3 – 4 minutes, or until aromatic. Add chopped chicken. Saute until chicken is browned.
3. Add wine and thyme; stirring constantly, until most liquid is evaporated. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and vegetables. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until veggies are cooked sufficiently.
4. In a small bowl, combine corn starch and cold water. Slowly add to chicken mixture, then add remaining chicken broth (add more broth if necessary to create a good amount of sauce).
5. Preheat oven to 350° F. Place chicken/vegetable mixture in a large casserole pan, and top with mashed potatoes. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until bubbly. Top with cheese, return to oven until cheese is melted. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, and serve.