Last week, my stepbrother Eddie and his girlfriend came to visit from Connecticut. He’s a die hard Sox fan, so when mom asked if I had any thoughts on a cake for his birthday celebration, it was pretty obvious what the theme would be! The baseball hat seemed easy enough, so I started my research. I found loads of baseball hat cakes, some great…and some just plain awful. My favorite ended up being from a cake blog in Utah.
Once I had a picture in my head of what I wanted the end product to look like, I got to work. I had read somewhere that the brim would need 3 days to dry completely. Using a hat that I stole from Jeffrey, I made a template from the actual brim, and then cut the fondant. I then placed it on freezer paper and let it dry draped over the brim (to get a believable arch).
It took a few attempts with various pans to get an accurate shape of the hat. I ended up using Wilton’s Cake Dress pan, slicing off the top, and then using a knife to shape the bowl of the hat. I used gel food coloring to color the actual cake in Red Sox colors…
The brim was a bit tricky to attach, and ended up cracking a bit…which meant I needed to improvise – thus, the grass and baseball.
I hate that I ended up not putting the white “B” underneath the red one, but after breaking 3 of them, I didn’t have the patience to try one more time! I did make sure to put the socks on the back of the hat – those detail things are always what “make” the cake…
I stretched the fondant too thin, so it cracked all over the place. Oh well.
All in all, it has become abundantly clear that I have no idea what I’m doing, so I’ve decided it is time to take some cake decorating classes. So starting in October, I’ll be taking private classes here at the house. I can’t wait!
Even so, I think Eddie enjoyed the cake…so I guess that’s all that REALLY matters.