- 2 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts OR 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tsp. rice vinegar
- 3 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 -1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 cup julienne-cut carrot
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (lower sodium is best)
- 4 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 3 cups hot cooked short-grain rice (I used Sri Lankan “raw” brown rice)
- 1 cup snow peas, sliced on the diagonal (or bean sprouts)
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large bunch fresh spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons chili paste
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Place chicken in resealable plastic bag. Combine 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon garlic, 1 ginger, soy sauce, and 2 tablespoons oil. Add half of mixture to chicken, refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Set remaining sauce aside.
*If using tofu* Cut tofu into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Place tofu in a single layer on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 30 minutes, pressing down occasionally.
2. Combine water, vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 teaspoon ginger in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add carrot, and remove from heat; let stand 30 minutes. Drain.
3. *if using tofu* Remove tofu from paper towels; cut into 3/4-inch cubes. Place tofu in a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce mixture; toss gently. Let stand 15 minutes.
4. Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat for 4 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil; swirl to coat. Add rice to pan in a single layer; cook 1 minute (do not stir – the goal is to let it get crusty). Remove from heat and let stand 20 minutes.
5. *if using chicken* Preheat grill to medium-high heat, and place chicken on grill. Grill 6 – 8 minutes per side, until the juices run clear. Chop into bite size pieces and keep warm (I use my oven set to 200° F).
6. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Add 1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce mixture and snow peas (or bean sprouts); saute 1 – 2 minutes. Remove peas from pan; keep warm. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms to pan; saute 2 minutes. Stir in 1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce mixture; saute 1 minute. Remove mushrooms from pan; keep warm. *if using tofu: Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add tofu to pan; saute 7 minutes or until golden brown. Remove tofu from pan; keep warm.*
7. Add remaining 1 teaspoon of garlic and remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce mixture; saute 30 seconds. Add spinach to pan; saute until spinach wilts. Remove spinach from pan; keep warm. Reduce heat to medium. Melt butter in pan. Crack eggs into pan (or, if you’re like me, just use the whites!), cook, and remove from heat.
8. TO SERVE: Place 3/4 cup rice in each bowl. Top each serving evenly with carrots, peas, mushrooms, tofu, and spinach. Top each serving with 1 egg and 1 teaspoon chili paste. Sprinkle evenly with salt.