Makes 4 servings
2 pounds ripe tomatoes, halved
1 medium onion, quartered
2 cloves garlic, whole
2 Tbsp olive oil or canola oil
3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1/3 cup dry sherry
1 tbsp honey (or more to taste)
fresh ground black pepper
10 sage leaves, roughly chopped (I threw them in there whole)
creme fraiche or cream (optional for garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a roasting pan with the tomatoes, onion and garlic. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 30 to 45 minutes or until cooked.
2. Put roasted tomatoes, onions and garlic in a saucepan. Add stock, sherry and honey. Bring to a boil. Immediately reduce to a simmer and cook 30 minutes.
3. Add sage leaves and allow to simmer 10 more minutes.
5. Strain through a fine sieve to remove seeds and skins.
6. Season with more salt if necessary and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with creme fraiche or cream, if desired